Case study research and project development

Through research we got to the stage where creating portraits became a final concept. The focus of our project was always uniting community and the reason: Brexit. After Brexit hate crime has significantly risen and our aim is to try and create something that would show unity. At the same time sticking to the brief we will be creating something that would attract attention and make the dull area seem a lot more upbeat.

Now how do we approach it?

Out of our experimentations we decided to develop group member’s Emma’s idea but use the findings from our research. She created portraits using lines and focusing on recreating features from different communities.

Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 08.45.57.png
Emma’s portraits and illustrative type idea
Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 08.46.10.png
Emma’s portraits

I have then done some experimentation using one continuous wire that would create a face then wrapped in either textiles or strings. Here is a little mock up.

We have started off with illustrative typography portraits. Our decisions were always based on research of the areas history. Portraits are of people of the communities that live there and colours of each portrait are colours of their native flag or colours of their native clothing.

Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 08.41.34.png

These portraits were created by group member Emma. 


The ideas was to also make connection between each portraits by type carrying on through from one portrait to the other.

From illustrative type portraits we have shifted to abstract. Our ideas was very much defined by the lines and type so we decided to make it more abstract and undefined but trying to still make it look like portraits.

As an inspiration for ideas I have looked at Pablo Picasso -cubism.

He uses shapes to create portraits and use of line has its purpose. I have then done some experimentation on how to connect two portraits into one.


trying to connect portraits to make it look like one

I have tried to remember what some of those images remind me off. Then I realised it looks a bit like Thierry Noir’s work which I see everyday on my way to uni.

carried on with some work playing around.

For some reason I was not keen on the colours. We have chosen the colour palette but I wanted to test out how different shades of it would work.



From this idea I wanted to develop the concept of different coloured shapes layered on top of another and connected with lines. One line is a nose for one shape but a mouth for another.

I have then also added the layering 3D element.

There is still more experimentation to be made. Maybe make shapes less defines? I think that 3D aspects of layering and vibrant colour will definitely make the balconies stand out more.

As for the material we are also looking into using acrylic sheets that would be transparent. One colour layered on top of another would create would create another colour.

This is not what I would normally go for in my work but all the decisions have been made with a reason and has  a connection with our research into the area. I also believe that it goes well with the character of the area.

Lines: connection-unity-weavering

Shapes: patterns from traditional clothes-diversity (people come in different shapes, sizes)

Colours: flags-diversity (different races)-adds life to the area

Portraits: Community-people-faces are shapes

Layering: wall of strength coming from communities-one backing up another-3D is visible from the side (brief)



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s